11.23.2005

BND

Well, it's that time of year again... Thanksgiving is upon us, Christmas is just around the corner, and consumerism in America is gearing up to a frenzied pitch. Which means, of course, that it's time once again for Buy Nothing Day, the protest anti-holiday that's been around forever but never actually makes much of a difference. Actually getting some publicity this year though to some degree -- can't complain about getting a Wired.com article about it this year. Odd though to have that article on a page with, by my count, 7 separate ads displayed.

My audience analysis tells me that nothing I can say about BND is going to change the opinions of any of you, my dear and gentle readers. With that in mind, let's settle for a compromise: throw at least a few minutes' thought into the role consumerism / materialism plays for you. What are some things you could do to take steps toward greater simplicity in your life?

Simplicity is a lifelong goal for me but it is something I struggle with constantly. Thoughts?

No comments: