2.22.2007

Lent

Once again I managed somehow to miss the beginning of Lent, which started yesterday (Ash Wednesday). Frustrating as I have thought about it a few times since the beginning of the year and each time has been in the car or while holding a screaming baby or while doing something else that precluded me from being able to look at a calendar and figure out when it started. I haven't yet decided how I will observe it this year. Giving up caffeine was worthwhile but now that I'm back in school and falling asleep in class on a daily basis that just doesn't seem like such a good idea.

The Wikipedia article includes this quote: "The three traditional practices to be taken up with renewed vigor during Lent are prayer (justice towards God), fasting (justice towards self), and almsgiving (justice towards neighbor)." My previous observations have leaned in the direction of fasting -- I'm thinking maybe this year I will move in the direction of one of the other two practices.

How about you -- any Lenten commitments this year? Any Lenten practices you have adopted in the past that have been worthwhile for you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A last second Lent commitment for me this year. Donovan told me of his the day before and then I made a quickie decision.

I'm fasting from reading about sports online (or newspaper I s'pose, but can't remember the last time I did that).

Ryan Donovan said...

I am moving in the direction of giving up all pop and fast food. And yes, at the moment I am both hungry and thirsty. Sadly, those simple choices alter my lifestyle in reasonably significant ways.